One of the Scariest Things I’ve Ever Faced
Last week I mentioned my major struggles when I was first in business. I had lots of ideas, incredible passion and no idea how to execute my grand plan or make a dime.
(To get the free training series that helped me, click here.)
Getting help was without a doubt the best thing I’ve ever done for my business….BUT it wasn’t all easy.
Nothing is more terrifying than following our dreams.
It conjures our deepest desires then makes us face our biggest fears. As people forging our own path, there is no end to the criticism, worry, and angst we heap upon ourselves.
We worry about doing it right. We fear we aren’t doing enough. We have voices telling us we are unworthy. We judge and compare and wonder if we should even try at all.
Nothing pulls us out of our bodies and into our swirling brains more than wanting to be expressed and succeed in our work. Our businesses suddenly become a reflection of us and if they aren’t flourishing, what does that say about us?
So how can we follow our dreams without getting stuck like scared rabbits? Just like this:
1) Remember, your voice in needed. You are unique. There is no one on this planet that has the combination of your life experience, lessons learned, insight and perspective. Your story is special because it’s yours and when you share it, you inspire others to step out from behind the shadows and do the same. Your work doesn’t need to be perfect, it just needs to be honestly YOU.
2) Learn best practices. For your industry, what’s the best way to understand your customers? What are the best ways to grow? What’s the best way to build a website? So often we try to figure things out on our own and forget we don’t have to reinvent the wheel. Keep it simple and seek out the best practices for your industry so you no longer have to feel like you’re taking stabs in the dark.
3) Dump best practices. I know, I just said to learn best practices. And I meant it. And after you learn them, take what you like and dump the rest. Best practices are important but if we cling to them we forget what makes us unique. We become robots, using the same outline as everyone else. Once you learn the outline, begin to ask yourself, “How can I personalize this? What inspires ME? What’s a new and exciting way that I would like to get to know a business?” For years I thought I had to go by “best practices” and once I let myself do only the things that felt “best” to me, life became so much easier.
4) You are in this for the long haul. Often we want success instantly. The problem is life goes up and down, and all around. As does business. We put so much pressure on ourselves to “make it happen,” yet sometimes things don’t always work out as planned. And that’s actually a good thing. We need time to flush out our desires and make sure they’re what we really want. Remember, you are in this for the long haul and are allowed take all the time you need. If your first venture doesn’t pan out, that’s OK. You have time to try again and the next go round, you have the lessons learned from the first. Take a breath, be gentle and go slow and steady.
5) Get in touch with your gut. The body knows everything yet rarely do we acknowledge what she’s trying to say. As you begin to follow your dreams, continuously check in with your body. What feels good? What feels tight and uncomfortable? How does judgement and criticism show up in your body? Honoring the sensations you feel allows you to come back to yourself, and feel more grounded and centered, which is the place where the best decisions are made.
We all experience fear and resistance. Welcome to being human. The most important thing is seeing where our insecurities and expectations hold us hostage and stop us from reaching out for help when we need it.
If you’ve been feeling the need to get guidance around your business, I cannot recommend Marie Forleo’s BSchool enough. Enrollment opens today and I believe her training is imperative as we expand into the online economy.
I also think BSchool must be done with the right support so you don’t drive yourself nuts with striving, worry, mind-numbing fear and comparison.
The one thing I wish I had when I was in BSchool was an intimate group to keep me grounded. A place where I could voice my concerns about my business when things got scary and get pointed feedback and support to come back to myself and my burgeoning business in a focused, empowered way.
And so this year, as a BSchool affiliate, I’m opening up such a group. Anyone who signs up for BSchool through me will have a place in this select group for FREE. This group is where you will come back to yourself when business gets overwhelming. It’s where you will find a soft place to land when self doubt sneaks in. It’s where you will get insights into how you are treating yourself that may be blocking your business dreams.
BSchool is an amazing journey and my job in your journey is to keep you connected to your core and remind you that in the midst of all the exciting plethora of new information and opportunity, you have a soft place to land.
As I said before, this is my gift to you for signing up for BSchool through me, so if you are considering BSchool and know you may get overwhelmed and need a touchstone, now is the time to do it.
The only way for me to track if you’ve signed up is by using my link, so be sure to click HERE.
I am beyond excited for you and your business journey and I’m thrilled to support you in any way I can.
Biggest love and know I’ve got your back,
P.S. Last year Marie personally asked me to provide my experience with BSchool. Here’s what I said. It’s pretty cool.
Sure thing, regular exercise and medications are playing on the minds of young and old. Present the assortment you can buy in online drugstore is indeed immeasurable. Some pharmacists offer to patients Viagra. Below are the elementary tips about "how viagra works". Where you can get correct information about "how long does viagra last"? The recomendation is unsophisticated, but it can make all the difference if you need information about "whats viagra". Though the erectile dysfunction itself isn't necessarily earnest, such disease is often one of the earliest warning signs of other underlying health conditions that can be quite severe. However, only your physician can determine if Viagra or other remedy is good for you. The soundness care professional needs to determine which dosage is most appropriate. In cases of overdose, rule supportive measures should be adopted as required.